Support for Visual Studio 11?

May 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Hi,

I managed to copy the missing stuff from the VS 2008 and 2010 SDKs to make it compilable on VS 11. However, when I tried to run the GAX VSIX, it says it cannot be installed on VS 11.

Are there any plans to make this working on VS 11?

Thanx.

Hugs,
Serena

Developer
Jun 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Yes, supporting Visual Studio 2012 was the plan all along :-) I've just published a version of GAT/GAX that works with the Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate, please do try it out and post back if it's working or if you have issues with it!

Thanks,

Jelle

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Hi Jelle,

Thank you for your hard work. I have downloaded it. It can compile and install however, after using GAT to produce my own VSIX, my guidance is not visible in the New Project Dialog. This is the same for the default created project as well. It doesn't appear in the Guidance Packages tree of the New Project Dialog (both either in debug more or installed).

Hugs,
Serena 

Developer
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I've seen this before, but not in the VS2012 Release Candidate. Which build are you using?

In any case, I've worked around it in the past by deleting the entire “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config” registry key. This clears a configuration cache which contains the guidance packages as well and rebuilds it when you next launch Visual Studio. Can you try this?

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Hi Jelle,

That works! Awesomeness!

Just in case you are wondering. I am actually migrating http://layerguidance.codeplex.com/ :)

Hugs,
Serena 

Developer
Jul 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Very cool stuff that layer guidance project!

Just for completeness, were you on the VS beta or RC? If you needed that reg fix on RC then I will try to find out what the root cause is...

Cheers,

Jelle
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Hi Jelle,

Tested on an RC installation. Same behavior :(

Hugs,
Serena 

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Hi Jelle,

Bad news. Tested on RTM, still same. :(

Hugs,
Serena 

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Hello Jelle,

Tested on RTM version and having the same behaviour.

Hopefully it will be fixed on a new version. :)

Thanks!
Dawa 

Developer
Aug 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Hi all,

Since the previous release was still compiled against VS2012 RC, I have now rebuilt GAX and GAT with the final RTM release of VS2012 and replaced it on the downloads page. I've tried creating a simple Guidance Package and everything was working fine for me without having to clear the registry key.

Can you please try again and let me know if it's now working or not? And if not, can you please attach your VSIX package so I can take a look?

Thanks!

Jelle

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Hi Jelle,

Recompiled using RTM GAT/GAX 2012. Result is still the same. How can I provide my VSIX to you?

Additional information:

1. Both Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and 2012 Ultimate are installed
  2. GAT/GAX 2010 and 2012 are installed for each VS version
  3. Visual Studio SDK for both 2010 and 2012 are installed
  4. OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
  5. VSIX is upgraded from 2010 version following the instructions in http://opengax.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Porting%20existing%20packages%20to%20the%20open%20source%20GAX&referringTitle=Documentation

Problem is reproducible each time the VSIX is uninstalled and reinstalled. The registry key must be deleted in order to allow it to show.

Hugs,
Serena 

Developer
Aug 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Thanks for sending me your vsix offline Serena. Apparently there was a performance optimization in VS2012 and you need to update the .vsixmanifest to include a <VsPackage> element that points to the pkgdef file. This triggers a pkgdef remerge (which regenerates the registry key and other stuff).

I'll fix this in GAT/GAX so that the Guidance Package project template now generates a corrected manifest file. But it also means that you'll have to update your existing manifest files yourself to include this. I'll update the documentation here on CodePlex to include instructions on how to do this when porting existing packages to VS2012.

I'm not sure when I'll get to that but probably in the next couple of days. If you can already try it out in the meantime and see if it indeed solves the problem that would be great as well :-)

Cheers,

Jelle

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hi Jelle,

What changes do I need to make on the .vsixmanifest? I can test it out for you to confirm it is working before you put into the documentation :)

Hugs,
Serena 

Developer
Aug 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hi Serena,

You need to have the <VsPackage> element in your <Content> element of the source.extension.vsixmanifest file. It's also explained at http://www.rhizohm.net/irhetoric/post/2012/03/30/Migrating-VSIX-Extensions-To-Dev11.aspx but I haven't been able to try it out yet.

<Content>
    <VsPackage>|%CurrentProject%;PkgdefProjectOutputGroup|</VsPackage>
  </Content>

Can you try this out and post back here?

Thanks!

Jelle

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Hi Jelle,

I have included that element in my vsixmanifest and it is confirmed working. I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing and it still works without requiring to delete the registry key.

Your solution works! :)

Thanks & Hugs,
Serena

Developer
Aug 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Edited Aug 29, 2012 at 7:40 AM

That's great news, thanks for verifying Serena!

I've replaced the downloads with updated versions that fix both this problem for newly created guidance packages, as well as the bug that the "sample" guidance package doesn't build by default. I've also added a documentation page on how to port existing packages to VS2012.

Hopefully that gets everybody rolling :-)

Cheers,

Jelle

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Thanks Jelle!

Verified from my side and it's working. :)

Regards,
Dawa